Sunday, April 17, 2005

What Happened To Humanity?

I thought long and hard about sending the link to this blog to my Republican friends out of concern about offending them. After pondering it for a while, however, I realized that it is too easy to preach to the choir and it is always a good reality check to open up your thoughts to opposing views. So, I did so. One friend has already posted comments to some of my posts and I appreciate his input.

Another responded with a number of links to websites offering alternative opinions (which I read with great interest), including www.chomskywatch.blogspot.com and www.americanpartisan.com. The friend who sent the links, however, threw a curve ball at me that made me take a step back -- he told me he saw no point in debating with someone as far "left" as I am. Wow - when did I become part of the far left?

I grew up in a Republican family and was a devout Republican throughout college. Law school made me rethink my Republican leanings and I began to explore political philosophy. Soon after graduation, I stumbled upon Ayn Rand and, 10 books later, began leaning in the Libertarian direction. Now, a few years after devouring Rand's writings, I can't say that there is any political label that adequately sums up who I am. Indeed, I don't think that anyone can find one label that ever fully encompasses everything they believe. If they can, they are fundamentalists.

So, it got me pondering about the state of American political discourse. Left v. Right, Republican v. Democrat, Conservative v. Liberal, Us v. Them. When did it become so simplistic and how did I become the opposite of my Republican friend?

From what little I watch of corporate media, I get the impression the line divides as follows: Liberals are pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-gun, anti-death penalty, pro-environment and anti-war. In contrast, Republicans are pro-life, against gay marriage, pro-NRA, aren't concerned about endangered species and are pro-war.

Hmmmm.... does anyone fall neatly into either one? I believe abortion is murder, I think gay marriage is an oxymoron (although I don't see why civil unions should be objectionable), I am cool with guns, I am for the death penalty, I don't want people polluting the earth from which the water I drink is drawn and I believe in war only to the extent it is necessary to defend against a real threat (which Iraq was not). And, I am on the fence about affirmative action.

I bet there are "leftists" out there who would accuse me of being "conservative" based upon these attributes alone. However, I just don't understand why people obsess over the differences when the similarities are more important. A right wing and left wing person presumably are equally against polluting the environment and killing all that sustains us (that's why there aren't trash dumps in rich neighborhoods). The short-sightedness of outsourcing American jobs is not a matter that should divide the liberal from the conservative - each presumably cares about his job. Going to war on credit is something that should be of concern to anyone who would not let his or her spouse spend recklessly on credit at the expense of clothing and educating their children. Protecting the Constitution is something all Americans presumably care about - I have never heard of a Republican campaigning on his contempt for the Constitution.

In a time when the nation is so polarized, it is important to take a step back and think about the issues that really matter. I want to make sure that future generations have clean water to drink and an intact ozone layer. I don't want the Constitution to be a fiction that is discussed in history class. I want Americans to have jobs and to be paid a living wage. I don't want to live in a country where a handful have money and the rest are robbed of their pensions and left to scrounge without a safety net. And, I don't want the value of the dollars I earn to fall in value because the administration acts like a teenager with a credit card. Will America be better if gays can't marry but poor people are left starving on the streets?

It is not about right or left. It is about humanity.

6 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, April 18, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly ... I think we could explore the founding of a new political party, the Humanitarian Party. It's funny you should write about this topic. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a good friend who thought he was a true-blooded Republican. Then I pointed out to him that some of his strong opinions on various issues didn't fall into the "classic" Republican view. He was truly shocked ... and this from someone who is Ivy League educated. I, too, have found myself in this "hybrid" class. I used to think that I was a true Republican, then found myself as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" ... now, I don't even think I can fall "neatly" into that description. I think that there are a lot more like us out there who share the same view(s).

However, I also believe that much of this can be attributed to the technology explosion, specifically, the increased access to knowledge (both by virtue of the media and the internet) and globalization (as more and more people are able to travel to different countries and learn about different people and different cultures). Knowledge breeds compassion, maybe?

It's odd though, as it seems that I only know Republicans who have become more "liberal". I really haven't run into any Democrats who have become more "conservative". Have you noticed the same thing?

 
At 2:37 PM, April 18, 2005 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

I think the Republican party's tactic of becoming synonymous with the religious right has alienated many people. There are many Christians out there who disagree with the war, believe in the Constitution and civil liberties and do not believe in screwing the little guy in favor of corporations and they are trapped in the middle. There are many so-called "Republicans" who are fiscally conservative and, for that reason, don't agree that it is wise to run up the deficit without restraint of any kind.

 
At 9:45 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, prada outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet online, true religion, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, longchamp outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, nike air max, longchamp outlet, red bottom shoes, true religion outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin, nike free, nike air max, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, christian louboutin outlet

 
At 9:58 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg, gucci, canada goose, iphone 6 case, hollister canada, vans, canada goose, swarovski uk, pandora jewelry, air max, ray ban, pandora charms, moncler, timberland shoes, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, replica watches, louis vuitton canada, uggs canada, coach outlet, juicy couture outlet, converse shoes, thomas sabo uk, nike air max, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, hollister clothing, moncler, hollister, supra shoes, louboutin, toms outlet, oakley, canada goose pas cher, parajumpers outlet, moncler, wedding dress, baseball bats, converse, swarovski jewelry, links of london uk, lancel, moncler outlet, pandora uk, karen millen, moncler, montre femme

 
At 7:13 PM, April 10, 2016 , Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 
At 7:20 PM, April 10, 2016 , Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, vans, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg uk, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose outlet, hollister, gucci, moncler, supra shoes, nike air max, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, replica watches, swarovski, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, hollister, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home