Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Viva California

Pride goes before destruction
a haughty spirit before a fall

Proverbs 16:18


I have never been so pleased to live in California.

The electorate has spoken loud and clear. Enough of the Republican mean-spiritedness. We have sat back while the Republicans tell the rest of us that we are godless communist sinners and that they are the experts on morality. We watched their arrogance as they justified their idol’s stoop to low-brow insults that his opponents are “Girly Men.” We watched in horror as they attacked the people we need the most in our every day lives -- teachers, nurses, firefighters and policemen. We got sick of being called moonbats, kool-aid drinkers, stupid liberals, immoral and all the other brainless insults O’Reilly, Coulter and Malkin tell them they should use against those who disagree with them (whether they apply or not). And we got up out of our apathetic stupor and voted to shut them up.

Voting is always family-bonding time in these parts. I am still registered at my parents’ address (as a Republican), so I go over there, we bat around the issues and head over to the polling station. Since I renounced Republicanism a few years ago, my die-hard Republican parents and I typically disagree on the issues, but yesterday was different. As I walked into the house, my mother declared that the family was voting “no” on everything. She repeated it to my father (who has certificates of appreciation from the RNC in the home office) for emphasis.

Surprisingly, dad agreed. How dare Arnold claim to care about California’s budget and then waste our taxpayer money on an unnecessary election? How dare he attack the same people who respond to our 911 calls and educate our children? How dare he attack public unions, while leaving corporate unions (in which he is a member) unscathed? How dare he use us as a pawn in a vendetta, dog-fight he is having with the public unions? He abused the initiative process and my Republican parents refused to reward him for that. You can't convince people to vote for you or with you by insulting them.

The spin machine is already at work, but the Republicans only have themselves to blame. I can’t wait to hear Pat Robertson speak for God as he likes to do and tell us who is being punished for what. Maybe he’ll convince the Republicans they weren’t Christian enough. Or maybe, just maybe, Robertson’s insanity will reveal itself for what it is and remind Republicans that Jesus’ admonition to love your neighbor as you love yourself applies to everyone.

Jesus got followers by being an example of humility and love, something the Republicans sorely lack. Perhaps they should pay more attention to the God they claim to worship instead of blindly mimicing the false idols of the party.

12 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger James Manning said...

yes, I had a lot riding on this election and I am glad that it turned out the way it did.

 
At 2:28 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

James,

Are you a union member? Is that why you had a lot riding on it?

 
At 2:45 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger James Manning said...

No, my girl is a union member. She is a teacher. But I've always been a big supporter of unions. Maybe that is my midwestern upbringing.

 
At 3:20 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 09 05

Hello II:
Good post. I was upset with Arnie for spending all that GD money in the first place, but really was hoping that prop 73 passed. In that sense I am an issues voter. My parents are elementary school teachers and I was ready to vote for prop 75(I think that was it) except my dad brought up a good point; campaign finance reform already covers unions AND unions are private entities. So to pass the ballot initiative, we would have been telling private entities how to spend and account for their money. I have issues with how much power unions wield, but wondered if the bill was superfluos or if there was more there than meets the eye. Also the redistricting thing was tough. But after giving it a lot of thought, I decided that the legislature represents us (ostensibly) and to pass 77 would be a usurpation of our democratic rights! So these initiatives were tricky for many reasons....

Oh btw:
I do agree with you that price fixing is fine for private enterprise but NOT for government. Such actions inducing price controls lead to wretchedness. I get the feeling you didn't read the CATO article because they completely agree with you too! :)

 
At 4:07 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

MSR -

I had the same misgivings and questions about the propositions. At the end of the day, it was my distruct for and dislike of Republicans that guided my voting. I think I spend too much time in the blogosphere, such that I get a concentrated dose of their arrogance on a regular basis, but it would have turned my stomach if they were yapping about a "mandate" and "earning political capital" today.

 
At 4:54 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 09 05

Hah! I hear you on this issue. Which is probably why I have conservative readers, some of whom are Republicans, but others as well. I don't tow a party line but err more towards conservative principles. Frankly I think Clinton exhibited excellent fiscal conservatism and have said so. But other so called conservatives say it was inherited by the first Bush. I am all about truth and NO HISTORICAL REVISIONISM. The facts are the facts. I must admit that I enjoy Repub RHETORIC OVER DEMS ANY DAY THOUGH! BUT vote for whoever meets the qualifications IMO. And Yes, if you take a visit to my sidebar, I have institutional links. I honestly think you will get a kick out of the Cato folks and the John Lockians:) I have a feeling that more true conservatives will go libertarian in the future, but this is just a hunch...Have a nice night:)

 
At 7:17 PM, November 09, 2005 , Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

thats great! i live in virginia, so you know i am happy today as well.

 
At 5:36 AM, November 10, 2005 , Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Does anything warm the heart more than the return of a prodigal Republican to the ways of truth and light?

 
At 11:19 AM, November 10, 2005 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Proverbs is also my favorite. I think we should end the proposition system and I agree that CA needs reforms.

 
At 10:58 PM, November 11, 2005 , Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

ii,

I liked 73,74,75,76,and 77.

I think the big union bosses did a great job of snowing most of the masses.

I saw so many lies in their Hate Arnold commercials it made me want to vomit.

As usual the big money won. I think big business is amoral and I don't like them for it, but big union bosses need to be brought back to earth with a little humility as well.

Arnold was not against the members when he wanted to insure they had "choice" with thier dues, and almost half of the membership recognized that fact.

But again, we vote for the best advertized, not the best.


:)

FAR.

 
At 11:01 PM, November 11, 2005 , Blogger Free Agency Rules said...

I am sure Jimmy Hoffa is enjoying this victory as well.

:)

FAR.

 
At 9:48 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, prada outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet online, true religion, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, longchamp outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, nike air max, longchamp outlet, red bottom shoes, true religion outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin, nike free, nike air max, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, christian louboutin outlet

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home