Thursday, April 20, 2006

Where Do These People Come From?

It is not my style to publicize personal conversations, but this morning I had such a doozie that I have to share it.

Over the past few months, I have received random text messages on my cell phone asking about my mother, wishing me and my family merry x-mas, happy easter and all that jazz. Since the phone number had a 917 area code, I assumed it was a friend of mine from law school who lives and works in New York. Last night, I was at a party and was texting a friend who was on her way to the club and noticed the 917 number. I thought to myself, I haven't heard from Eric in a while, so I texted asking him how he is doing. It should have been a clue it wasn't Eric when I got an immediate reply (seeing as it would have been 1:00 a.m. in NY), but I wasn't thinking. The reply said call me, so I responded that I would call in the morning.

As I dialed the phone this morning, it occurred to me that the 917 number might not be Eric, but I had no idea who else it could be. The voice on the other end of the phone confirmed it wasn't Eric, but now I was in the midst of a conversation with a voice completely unfamiliar to me. So, as all women do, I faked it. :-) "How are you, how is work...." It was not until he asked me if I had hung out with mutual colleagues lately that I finally placed the voice with the phone number. Doh!

He was a guy I met at a professional networking function and who had taken me along as a sidekick to some networking party for a popular magazine. The party was lame, he was dull and superficial, so I told him I needed to get home to hubby and left the party after less than an hour. Haven't spoken since.

Now I have an identity, so I can play catch up. "Oh, I texted you because I realized it had been a while since I checked in and said hello." It was half-true. His response - "I just assumed that your husband intercepted one of my messages and forbid you from speaking to me."

What?

"I don't know what juvenile, insecure world you hang in", I responded, "but my husband knows very well he has absolutely nothing to worry about. Ever!"

You would think that would be the end of the topic, but it wasn't.

"We'll see. One day, I'll invite you and your husband to meet me at Venice Beach and I won't have a shirt on, and we'll see if he lets you talk to me again."

WHAT????????????????????????????????

I was speechless and it took me a second to grasp the reality of what he just said.

Then I started laughing (I am still laughing). I told him we would both think he was a foolio if he did that. "What is a foolio"?, he asked. "A foolio is one of those LA types who is so enamored with himself and so vain that he is like the bimbo chicks in the clubs who show a lot cleavage. Those types claim to be hetero, but they spend more time in the mirror then most women I know. Anyhoo, they are probably showing off their muscles to compensate for inadequacies elsewhere."

The puddle-deep intellect mustered up "well, what if I am comfortable without a shirt on when I am at the beach?" "That's fine and well, but we would still enjoy a good laugh at your expense."

With that, I politely ended the conversation.

I barely know this guy and he thinks he's so hot and studly that my husband would find him threatening. My husband would think he is as retarded as I think he is. Where the hell do these people come from? Where? On what planet do they breed such arrogant, narcissistic a-holes and then plant them here? What kind of parenting produces this?

And it's not like he's a GQ Model or anything. I have plenty of male friends who are 100x hotter than that foolio.

15 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, April 20, 2006 , Blogger Michael said...

You made this whole thing up, right? Nothing this humiliating was ever said by any actual person, was it?

Please, humor me and keep a small flame of hope alive for humanity. Say it ain't so.

:-), StS

 
At 6:26 PM, April 20, 2006 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

BOB -

You are so right that single life in LA has deteriorated their brains.

Sharky,

Alas, it is so. 100% true story. Sad, huh? I do not think I have ever met anyone that shallow and narcissistic and we have our share here in LA.

 
At 8:57 PM, April 20, 2006 , Blogger Kip said...

To Intellectual Insurgent,


The man has a sexual crush on you that is all and many men and women are single in L.A. by choice. Because they can have all the sex they want with other people who are single. And not really seeking to be with one mate.


The man has a crush on intellectual insurgent

 
At 8:37 AM, April 21, 2006 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

Seriously?

 
At 9:06 AM, April 21, 2006 , Blogger mrsleep said...

II, we need pictures. Set up a time on the beach, and whip out the old digital camera, and then we can all see what "Texter, the Pecker" really looks like.

 
At 9:20 AM, April 21, 2006 , Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said...

"Texter the Pecker", ha ha ha... Classic. If we meet up with him at the beach, I will undoubtedly take lots of pictures.

 
At 10:58 AM, April 21, 2006 , Blogger Crankyboy said...

That was me! Now the world knows I'm in love with my pecs. Oh the humanity.

 
At 12:28 PM, April 21, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats hilarious!
Unfortunately, guys (and girls) like that aren't even rare.

 
At 8:25 PM, April 21, 2006 , Blogger Boris Yeltsin said...

It's funny you mentioned something: you said he claimed to be hertro, but he spends more time in the mirror than you do.

Guys always ask why all the hot women are gay, and I know women wonder the same about men.

It's probably because those kind of people spend so much time falling in love with themselves in the mirror, it's not too far off to fall in love with someone of the same gender as themselves!

Great post.

 
At 8:52 PM, April 23, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meet these "texteer peckers" where they are at...

 
At 11:32 AM, April 24, 2006 , Blogger Possum said...

You mean you aren't actually hitting on me by responding? My hopes are dashed.

But I still have the crush on the II.

"Foolio" reminds me of a good friend of mine who was an apt target of this joke:

Why do Italians wear a necklace?

So they'll know where to stop shaving.

 
At 5:50 PM, April 25, 2006 , Blogger Craig DeLuz said...

ii,

"Foolio"

I like that term. I heard it before, but never tied it to a definition.

 
At 10:16 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren, prada outlet, oakley vault, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet online, true religion, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, longchamp outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton, nike air max, longchamp outlet, red bottom shoes, true religion outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin, nike free, nike air max, burberry outlet online, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton handbags, coach purses, christian louboutin outlet

 
At 10:22 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

babyliss, new balance outlet, replica watches, vans outlet, mcm handbags, celine handbags, beats headphones, nike trainers, nfl jerseys, giuseppe zanotti, jimmy choo shoes, ugg boots, birkin bag, asics shoes, canada goose outlet, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, nike huarache, chi flat iron, hollister, abercrombie and fitch, uggs outlet, north face jackets, north face jackets, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, uggs outlet, uggs on sale, bottega veneta, instyler ionic styler, ugg boots clearance, nike roshe, valentino shoes, lululemon outlet, ugg, marc jacobs outlet, ugg outlet, longchamp, ghd, reebok shoes, ugg soldes, p90x workout, soccer shoes, wedding dresses, mont blanc pens, herve leger, canada goose outlet, canada goose

 
At 10:28 PM, December 05, 2014 , Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg, gucci, canada goose, iphone 6 case, hollister canada, vans, canada goose, swarovski uk, pandora jewelry, air max, ray ban, pandora charms, moncler, timberland shoes, moncler outlet, moncler, canada goose, replica watches, louis vuitton canada, uggs canada, coach outlet, juicy couture outlet, converse shoes, thomas sabo uk, nike air max, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, hollister clothing, moncler, hollister, supra shoes, louboutin, toms outlet, oakley, canada goose pas cher, parajumpers outlet, moncler, wedding dress, baseball bats, converse, swarovski jewelry, links of london uk, lancel, moncler outlet, pandora uk, karen millen, moncler, montre femme

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home